here is nothing more frustrating than coughing up a lung every time you take a hit. Most people don’t receive a formal lesson in how to correctly inhale – but as your faithful cannabis connoisseurs, we’re here to help! We have literally tried dozens of techniques to find out how to hit a bong or joint without coughing. Regardless of how you like to consume, we’ll help you smoke without coughing because everyone wants to take smooth, potent hits and exhale calmly like you know what you’re doing.
- Grind First
- Slow and Steady, like Yoga
You do not need to inhale with any amount of force, pace, or aggression. The smallest breath in will draw the smoke into your lungs. Think of the breaths you’ve experienced in yoga class, meditation, or prayer. Let the smoke fill your lungs slowly and gently, milking the bong until you’re ready to clear it.
- As you may already know, how the cannabis is ground is key. Using a grinder is imperative to ensure the flame has the ability to move through the bud smoothly, igniting it at an even rate to ensure consistent airflow when inhaling.
- Add Fresh OxygenIt is crucial to inject fresh oxygen into your lungs along with the smoke. If you’re smoking a joint, spliff, blunt or vaporizer, be sure to draw the smoke into your mouth first and then inhale a breath of fresh air. Alternatively, if smoking a bong or pipe, be sure to leave some lung capacity before pulling the bowl or releasing the carb, which introduces fresh air into the hit. This will cool your lungs down and re-oxygenate your body in conjunction with the delivery of cannabinoids.
- Don’t Hold itMost people try to hold the smoke in their lungs thinking they need to give it time to work. This is completely false. You don’t need to hold the smoke in. The second you inhale, the cannabinoids are absorbed by your body.
- Release at the Same PaceSimply let your exhale occur as softly and nonchalantly as your inhale. Without the added pressure of holding the smoke in you should find that you have more control over your exhale. You can practice this calm breathing sequence before your next smoke, and let us know how it worked for you!
In our experience, the people that struggle with coughing are either holding the smoke in too long or failing to introduce fresh oxygen with each smoke-filled hit. One thing to point out if you cannot find success with the tips above, is to simply switch to a vaporizer. Using a vape pen is great for air travel and easy to conceal on the go. Furthermore, an often-overlooked but important factor in the smoking experience is how the cannabis was packed. A poorly packed bowl or rolled joint will vary in potency and intensity, so it’s important to understand how to load a bong, water pipes, or pack a bowl or pack a one hitter. Even the way you load a vape pen or roll a joint (How to Roll A joint)will affect the smoking experience.